There are times in our lives when we feel that our hearts are overflowing with joy and other times we are drowning in a sea of self-pity, disappointment, and frustrations. I have had a share of these times and probably more than I'd like to admit - I tend to go from one extreme to another much too often; I fail at finding the happy medium that I seem to long for.
We, too often, strive for things for which we feel we can conquer without assistance (it becomes much like writing a paper). First, we brainstorm the topic - I want this, that, or something. Second, we begin to outline our plans - 1) I need to save x amount of money, 2) I need to pack this, 3) I need to contact such-and-such for this part, 4) It will take me x amount of time to succeed, etc. Third, it is now time time to "pen" our rough draft. Alright, I have my "to-do" list for this project and it is now time to move forward. I'm going to be so successful and at the end I'll want to give myself a big-fat-cardboard cookie.
Then, at one point or another some kind of discouragement or stumbling block is in front of you, but you were prepared for this - you will be just fine. Phew! One obstacle to go. Your second draft is ready now - you whited out all the red marks and corrected all the misspellings and grammar issues. See! You got this!
Some time passes and just as you ha prepared for - a repeat of before with one exception. Now, you need to redraft your order, it does not flow right. Okay, you say to yourself. I got this! Well, you do until you have to revise and redraft about five more times. Now, you are disappointed, frustrated, and completely unsure if you should have even attempted to write the paper in the first place. You are not even sure, in fact you are almost convinced, you cannot keep going. You are fresh out of ideas and you really need a conclusion.
At this point, you have two choices - tear that paper up and trash the whole thing or seek some help from someone you know that can get you through it. Now, what kind of choice do you really think you will make? Let's be honest, sometimes we're gonna trash it! Then, later we will surely be filled with regret. Other times, we are willing to ask for help and admit that we cannot do it alone. We surely don't "have it" and need some serious help.
Who do you turn to? Are you going talk to your neighbor who is a Math genius, your automotive mechanic, the Walmart greeter, or just some random stranger you meet on the sidewalk? I wonder. Obviously, as an onlooker you could tell someone they are crazy and they need to speak with someone who is a language arts "specialist." How often are we the crazy ones making rash decisions or even life-changing decisions based one something that someone told us who quite frankly knows nothing?
Now, as a Christian we are commanded to take refuge in Christ. We are to believe in him and his holy word. We should seek guidance and ask him about everything, but too many times we fail to do so (Matthew 7:7-8). We think that somehow we can ignore his signs, ignore the spirits desires, and ignore the sacrifice Jesus made (John 3:16-18) for us which gave him complete rights to every aspect of our lives. Yes, I know what you are thinking - are there not people who God places in our lives to help us? Of course, but how in the world do you expect to see the gift he's laid before you if you never ask him, seek him, and honestly desire what he wants for you?
You see, while we can make the best plans for our life and sometimes we positively will be able to attain our goals without seeking God, but not because God did not allow it. Don't fool yourself into believing that any paper you draft cannot be completely rewritten with God's help. There is not one life that God does not value; there is not one life that God did not plan. There is not one life that God did not form; there is not one life he abandons a purpose for. You are his purpose! (Deuteronomy 31:8) We were made in his image and when we look in the mirror we should marvel in the fact that no matter who our genes came from, God is there! We are a reflection of his existence. We are not rough drafts - we are a masterfully written chapter in His marvelous book of life. (Ephesians 2:10)
No comments:
Post a Comment