What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Since he did not spare even his own Son, but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?
~Romans 8:31-32

Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Voice That Wears Many Hats

I have decided that after years of a sabbatical, if you will, I am going to resume writing.  It is unbelievable to me that things that God gives me the words for and I feel honored and blessed.  I just wanted to share with you all what a true peace I have at this moment for accepting His will about it.

Have you ever thought about your voice? Your dialect? Your slang? Your accent? Your persona, as it were, with speech?  It's really amazing.  Some people are gifted with an ear for tracing the heritage of accents.  Just by listening to someone speak you are able to hear compassion, love, anger, frustration, and tenderness.  At the same time, those very emotions are what define our impact on others.  The emotion with the words is astonishingly unique.

Your voice has a fingerprint; there may be someone who has a voice similar to you, but the truth is - with all the words, slang, pronunciations, accents, etc. - your voice develops a persona of its own.  Is that not amazing?  Think about that for just a moment...

Have you ever been a room full of people and the only way you feel like you can hear yourself is the "close" your ear and hear yourself?  Is it comforting?  I wonder - if we spent as much time listening for God's voice as our own - what would we hear?

Our words are weapons and at the same time - is it not strange how it is exactly the same thing that has the power to destroy someone it also has the capacity to uplift them and make them feel things they've never felt before that are completely positive.  Sharing positive words without a compassionate, loving, tender, or inspiring voice nearly takes away the emotion.  This is exactly one of the reasons I feel our nation is so out of control.  We text, email, private message, etc. without ever having spoke to someone.

Do you really realize the power of your voice?  Is it not the voice of a mother that calms a baby?  The voice of a lover that melts your heart? The voice of father that demands respect?  Me simply typing I love you means nothing without emotion.  I have all kinds of text slang, jargon, and emoticons to help "make a point," but does it really?

There is nothing like your voice.  Nothing!  Do not let a day go by without sharing it with someone you love or a complete stranger.  That voice may be the only one they hear, the only one that is not yelling at them - beating them down completely, the only one that matters.

So, I ask you to take time to just listen to your voice just like a baby will sit and coo to hear itself.  Listen to your voice and be empowered knowing that there is no other person on this earth who can make the impact with your voice that you can, but  listen for God's voice and take comfort in it; know that He recognizes your voice through what we might imagine as a muffled noise amongst the many.

Most importantly, ask God to help you to be a voice that speaks His love, comforts His children, and touches the hearts of all you come in contact with.  You may feel as if you have a voice that wears too many hats, but your voice matters because it was designed to be yours and no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment